Friday 30 July 2010

Finding: Cynthia

Hello, guys!

Before I get too apologetic about missing out two posts (I had some reasons, hadn't I?), I'd like to go right to the point! Today's featured artist is Cynthia from A Tree Thing who creates stunning family trees in the loveliest colours possible! I can't wait to show you some pictures, but  let's follow the rules (ain't they my rules to break?). Enjoy!


  • Share a bit of your story, please.
My name is Cynthia and I am a creative. hello.

Ever since I was a child I knew I wanted a future in art. Illustrator. Art teacher. Fashion Designer (no matter my taste in fashion is lacking). I ended up in advertising, an art director, and I couldn't be happier. I moved away from home for this career and as a result, I met my beloved cat Fred and my dear husband Mike.

I am a crafty person, always looking for the next DIY project. Our wedding was no exception. As a thank you to our parents, we presented family trees that I designed personally. It was fun: the research, the design and the family connections. Those family trees were two of a kind, a gift to never be repeated. But I enjoyed it so much that I have decided to continue designing family trees. And from that came A Tree Thing, an Etsy shop full of my unique family trees.
  • What place does art have in your everyday life? How do you manage to balance creativity and chores?
Art IS my everyday life. It is my job from 8-5 and my hobby from 5-8. Besides my day job as an art director, I am always on the look out for the next home decorating project or surfing the net for a new recipe. I enjoy developing my green thumb, a trial and error process for sure, and going to concerts with my husband. I enjoy movies, music, video games and books, all forms of everyday art in my everyday life. I couldn't picture a life without art.
  • What is it that inspires you?
My inspiration comes from graphic design publications, DIY and crafty blogs, fabric and textures, photography and nature. But even more than all that, my inspiration comes from my coworkers, my friends and my family. Without their support, their guidance, their critiques, I would not be able to further develop my own creativity.
  • What do you expect to happen to your Etsy store in the future? Where do you see yourself in one year?
I have no idea. whatsoever. If my Etsy store did so much as fund my family tree making hobby I would be the happiest creative ever. If my family trees found their way into babies' nurseries and wedding gift tables and a grandmother's family photo wall, I would jump with delight. Will they? I don't know. The journey has just begun.
  • Any strategy to help you achieve your artistic goals? Would you share one tip with all new-born artists?
Ask for opinions and honest critiques of your work and don't take any of it personally (I know, it is difficult). Use it to strengthen your product and your talent.
  • Anything else you'd like to say?
Thank you for the opportunity to share my story. I wish everyone luck in their creative endeavors.

and

and

Thank you, Cynthia! This has been so far the best wish I've received! More about Cynthia and her creative work and life you'll find at her blog (she sends awesome update e-mails) and by following her on Twitter!

Well, as far as my luck goes, I need tons of it to get things running faster than they would by themselves. However, this is Cynthia's special space here, so I'll leave all that stuff for Monday when I'll make sure some post gets published. And I'm off to magnet-drawing-land!

Have a nice weekend (wow, so many weekends, it gets hard to think of a wish already!) and make sure you're following whatever set your feet on a creative path!

Bilyana

P.S.: A better wish than all my words:

2 comments:

  1. I just couldn't miss out on saying how incredibly pleased I am with the grown-up professionalism, with which you maintain this inspiring blog! Glad to see your followers multiplying (well, increasing for the time being) with each time I visit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Horray! Think I just let you down today :( . Hope it's for the best, however. Now I have to come up with some kick-ass idea!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails