Friday 23 July 2010

The Tip Factory: 2









Hello to all!

Today I'll start with the (preferred) post content and mingle it with some personal updates.

Five lessons I've learned this week!

  • Do not neglect.
Neglecting the everyday tasks we perform is something we all know. Yes, we had more important things to do and yes, the electricity went dead and yes, our e-mails suffocated us. In the end, however, (especially if it's a long-postponed end) all the work is waiting for you right where you left it. The e-mails won't go away and so won't the blog. Even if you don't really have outer control (like subscribers f.e.), the thing that should make you get to it is the fact that coping with information (and hence learning and growing and making more money) is a process that requires time and attention. You cannot read 60 e-mails in an hour and expect to have learned all from the posts of your mentors. You also shouldn't be surprised if you missed something important or interesting, after the 15th message they all feel the same. And at the end you've waisted time to pretend you've read them all.

My advice (and a fresh and supported one) is: be strict about your daily work. Make time for it. You probably haven't done something more important in those moments anyway.
  • "Eat the elephant" one bite at a time.
IttyBiz' columnist Johny Truant wrote a damn good post about learning to take small steps. Especially useful for emerging artists, this post helped me be at peace with the fact that my shop's still not what I want it to be. I thought I'm sicking at running Ammadin's, but yes, I don't know all and it's supposed to suck a bit in the beginning. The post goes especially well with the clichéd phrase "Keep calm and carry on". Learn from what went wrong and at some point you will know how to avoid it.
  • Be concise.
This, however, should be no excuse. Try to be concise in your vision and your choices. Like this concise and a bit more on the top with packaging and freebies. It will make you look like a professional with the integrity needed to leave a lasting impression. And I'm not saying this as a seller, because I suck at managing my shop's integrity (but hope is lurking behind the clouds!), but as a buyer who's spend tons of time at Etsy and has remembered but a few of the sellers I've seen.
  • Random: Do not use opened surveys.
Well, with my first customer there's hope for my survey to come to use. However, Naomi from IttyBiz strictly denied the use of opened answers. Why? My guess would be that people are lazy. Often, they don't know what exactly to say. Sometimes, I guess, they might not want to be honest. Thinking of that I'll revise my survey and finally come up with a way with the awesome guy who does this whole computer magic for me.
  • Last (and probably mentioned here before): Rest, rejuvenate and regrow.
When I missed Wednesday's post (and not entirely without conscious thoughts about it), I felt something was wrong. I've grown a bit weary of all the hasty browsing and writing and deadline-coping. I'd write a post and then feel a bit squeezed during the rest of the day, no wish to create whatsoever. But in the end I have to remember my blog is one of my enterprises, not my primary. It's grown to be a lot more than product-presentation (unlike my Facebook page, guilty as charged), but still it should not tire me out. Yes, sounds like whining to me too, but that's how it is, I do many stuff during the day. Too much side work can be an obstacle. Rest from it and focus on yourself. All will grow as far as you have the strength to dig, water and nurture it.

Today's useful place to visit:

While I've neglected my Facebook page, I intend to fix that soon. Etsy's blog has promoted this awesome Facebook post and if any of you missed it, make sure you check it out. It will guide you as to how Facebook promotion works and how it could work better.

Well, the post's grown quite long again and I'll have to think of that next time. Hope you've felt the wind of help in your sails and have reached at least the ass of the elephant. Not sure what I'm speaking of? Well, you've probably scrolled over it, so go back and be strict!

Bilyana

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails