Friday 4 June 2010

Finding: Louise

Good day, everyone!

Today's surprise artist is Louise from TruLuCouture! Although she has just started her Etsy career, her shop is more than promising (oh, and just wait to read her educational background!) and as she seems to have instinctively found a newbie's success formula, her interview is something to think through if you're on the start line. Plus, how can you not be in love with somebody who actually cares about shoes?!



  • Share a bit of your story, please.
I have a background in design and have been sewing since I was a young girl. I have degrees in Apparel Merchandising, Costume Construction Technology and Marketing. I was trained under a master German tailor and interned for a private designer. However, the path to my current career (I design and develop home decor products for a wholesale company) was not directly related to my training. I did not care for the low wages and long hours of a stage/costume designer. I did not feel I was talented enough to do my own thing. I really enjoy marketing and numbers as well as creating things, so wanted a career that included that as well! I got engaged in December of 2008 and began wedding planning. I found it stressful and needed an outlet for my venting other than my fiance so I started writing a blog. Blog writing introduced me to Etsy - something I've never even heard of. I was fascinated! Over the course of my wedding planning, I had a nagging thought that simply would not go away. I knew I could do my own thing, I just needed a platform. Etsy was it! I had made my veil and fascinators for my own wedding and realized how much I missed daily sewing. My internship was for a designer who specialized in wedding and ball gowns so I spent lots of time hand beading! What I would create for my Etsy shop seemed like a no-brainer!

  • What place does art have in your everyday life? How do you manage to balance creativity and chores?
AAAAH! Every day! My "day job" is all about finding new inspiration and creating. I try to find something new and interesting to look at every day! Balancing creativity and the work load of every day life is a challenge at times. On the days when the creative juices are flowing, you might need to be managing the books. On the days where you have allotted time to be creative, you might be sitting and staring into space, dealing with a creative block. You just have to roll with the punches. 
  • What is it that inspires you?
Beauty in all its forms. Stories of triumph and overcoming hurdles. Nature. Pretty shoes. Amazing wine.
  • What do you expect to happen to your Etsy store in the future? Where do you see yourself in one year?
Since I am a new shop, I am not 100% sure. I know that my work is new, therefore still evolving. In one year, I'd like to see myself creating the things I see in my head with ease, versus some of the struggles I have with it currently. It's all a process and one I am familiar with. I just have to let it take it's path.
  • Any strategy to help you achieve your artistic goals? Would you share one tip with all new-born artists?
Of course. It's a combination of love, creativity, street smarts, a marketing plan and decent math skills! I feel like the only advice I'm skilled enough to give is this: if you're standing on the sidelines, STOP. Get into the game. There is no "right" time. Just do it. You'll be happy you did.
  • Anything else you'd like to say?
I'd like to suggest reading the book Craft Inc. by Meg Mateo Ilasco. It's a great overview of how to turn your hobby or creative skill into a business. It's an easy read and covers the basics. I found it incredibly helpful.







Thank you, Louise, for the advice and the felling of discipline and determination you inspire! Proves it takes a lot more than just enthusiasm or just talent to create a beautiful and complete product, but once an artist gets on the right track, the results can be outstanding. If you need more inspiration or your daily dose of beauty, check out Louise's blog The Thirty-Something Bride or her site TruLu Couture and don't forget to add her name to your bride-to-be notebook (doubtlessly, brides have one, don't they?). Oh, and you might even need a blog-diary after all the times I've asked of you to remember the next post! On Monday you'll be seeing my creative process from its inside with some failings, some successes and some photos of my brand new camera stand. A grown-up professionally looking camera stand! Also, during the next two weeks you'll be entertained by Blogger's scheduled function, but do not hesitate to comment, ask and share as I'll be checking the blog from the middle of nowhere, hopefully, phones at least work! 

Sun washed oat flakes with the feeling of a job well done,

Bilyana

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No problem, it's me who should be thanking! An inspiring post, all thanks to you!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails