Monday 7 June 2010

Sharing: The magnet design project!

Hello, everybody!

On this mighty fine day (I just had to use this expression!), and as promised on Friday, this post will plunge into my most recent creative work: magnet designs! The particular illustration type (hook legs, triangular, oval and square share) I discovered a year ago after an attempt to draw something simple and fun. Truth is I had to relax a bit, because being a detail-control freak was beginning to interfere with my creative process. With some help and inspiration from my former employer I began to develop the concept which soon started turning into a whole separate world (Would you believe if I told you I even drew a tractor?!).

At this stage of the magnet venture I already have an idea of what the final design should look like. But lets begin chronologically! Previously, after some drafts, magnets looked like this:

Um, the shape's a bit distorted, but apart from that - it's the "classic" design.

However, since I've purchased a new type of wooden squares and I wanted to experiment a bit with different coloring methods, first I decided to try doing some old wooden beads I've purchased previously probably without a good reason. Normally I use water-pencils (I seem to have difficulties translating terms these days) and color lightly and slightly messy, so why not try it on wood? The result, however, was something someone had obviously cried too much above! The water-based varnish messed the pencil trails a bit too much and because of the wet pencil technique the marker wouldn't dry at all. Results?


Doesn't look as bad as it does in real life, but still - not the result I want.

Next step was to try out how I could work with the details when coloring with acrylic paints. Although the first try was a failure, I was the more convinced I want to combine the not too serious nature of the illustrations with the depth the details created. The second result was motivating:


Messiness is inevitable on the first sample, right?

However, there was one drawback even if it's not so visible in the picture - the marker got absorbed into the wood. I was pleased with the coloring, now I had to find a way to prevent the marker smudging. Knowing how marker doesn't go through acrylic paint and does react to the varnish on top I decided to try another technique - drawing on top of a varnish-base. The test piece was perfect, no absorption whatsoever! Now I only had to do my first original piece on the intended wood. Imagine my surprise when the wood absorbed ALL the varnish I applied! Result?


Yuck! Marker still got spread onto the surface.

My first obstacle on the way to my Etsy success! Surprisingly, I did not panic, but went and bought some sand paper. I still have not tried and am not sure how it will turn out, but I chose a smoother tile and, although it still absorbed some of the varnish, the marker wrote clearly. I also decided to add to the mixture of non-seriousness and detail the texture of the wood itself. That way my magnets could be more subtle, just the way I wanted them to be in order to fit into a more simple interior. The result of the whole process?



The shape, once again, is a bit distorted, although I personally am totally satisfied with the outcome. Oh, the camera stand did a miracle for me! I wouldn't have thought myself able to do such a photo! Now I'm the more motivated to get into photography and create more beautiful shots!

Well, this was the end of my work for that particular day. If it taught me anything, it's not to panic or let my spirit weaken, there's a solution to every problem and even if there ain't, nothing's fatal! Kind of banal, though, thought I'd earn something more profound. Anyway, speaking of important things - keep a mind note on Wednesday's alternative Etsy finds, because we'll be seeing the most important (really?) part of any gift. The hint's Wednesday's title (no more hints, however!): The gift's outside! Without further spoilers,

Hope you all have two carefree next days,

Bilyana

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails